Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Piscatorial Picasso

Too Pretty
At first I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Dark boxy shapes clearly floating over the turtle grass.

Triggers? Triggers!

On my doorstep on the inner islands! Only once before had I seen them and then only fleetingly. These clownish fish that people pay thousands to chase around the world, right here. Immediately I tossed out the recently copied prawn fly that has been nailing the Bones and Goldens and got denied. That made me nervous. This little fly has been slaying fish and for it to be turned down so readily - ignored actually - made me shaky.

As quickly as possible I found an Ugly Crab and tied it on. I moved around slowly and cut the Picasso off as he drifted and foraged with the pushing tide. A tight loop and the crab went to work. Strip, strip, pause. Let it sit. He's seen it. Strip, strip and drop. Here he comes! Strip. Tail up, inside!

I couldn't but help marvel at his magnificent colours, the tenacity of his fight and sheer pleasure of catching him.

Fifteen later and another one came to hand.

They weren't big but what a treat.

A dark boxy shape that gets me all excited!
Typical Trigger fighting style - on its side and heading for structure.
Ugly Crab in scissors. 
Colours that would make Picasso smile.
Not a trophy but pretty as any fish you've caught.





2 comments: