Sunday, April 22, 2012

Ideas about flats flies.

It's been a tough weekend on the flats.

The bones have been hiding and the Goldens where cruising on their own and being as picky as a snot-nosed nouveau-rich Frenchman (if you're French and reading this you're neither snot-nosed or nouveau-rich). We did get to do some casting and I got a few beaut pics of the old man casting across picture perfect sand flats.


But so is life and at least it forced me back to the drawing board. I tied up a couple of patterns I've been wanting to give a whirl for awhile. The plan now is to test them properly within the next week or so.

A Charlie type pattern. A special prawn. And an Ugly Crab/Spawning Shrimp/JD's Creature cross breed thingy! The Charlie and prawn patterns both come from listening carefully to other guys talking about what has been hot down south. The Charlie is simple, effective, takes 15 seconds to tie and appeals to a my 'less is more' thoughts on fly tying. 

The Prawn, however, does not. It is a great fly - I must admit that I've tied the first one a few weeks ago and it has already accounted for two bones and a golden (which was lost :( ). It takes a bit longer to tie but fish love it. It's realistic, the keel keeps it swimming upright and the colours come alive in the water.

The 'Ugly Something or Other' has yet to be tested. It's heavy; designed to sink quickly so that I intercept effectively the erratic feeding habits of Golden Trevally. It combines what I consider the most important crab and shrimp triggers - namely the rostrum, pincers, eyes and legs. It sits upright in the water and the furry foam body creates and very realistic carapace. I could possibly add a few bars (darker brown) on the rostrum and carapace but not until I've tried it as is. Another addition is more orange for the egg sack around the mouth and eye area.

We'll see...

The offspring of several ideas - the ugly something or other.
The drawings from one I saw once and my tie of a special prawn. This fly does work.
Two simple Charlie patterns. Bare shank, orange legs and bunny wing.

Look into my eyes... As once said, eyes on flies are very important...







No comments:

Post a Comment