Sunday, May 27, 2012

Fishing for Nothing

I don't have a very good fishing relationship with la Digue. It's the quintessential island getaway. Bikes, beaches and even beautiful women. A sedate pace of life that can only be found on a tiny island in a tropical climate. I love its charm and general go slow attitude. The locals are friendlier than elsewhere on the islands and

I've spent many days there just relaxing, surfing (yes, there are waves in the Seychelles) and - in the beginning - fishing.

The flats seem to offer endless potential. They are mostly broken coral bottom littered with sandy patches and eel grass beds. Lots of what I would call 'permit water'. It screams fish. The first time I walked onto the flats at Source 'd Argent I would have put money on getting permit and bones. 

Yet, I have not caught a single fish of significance on la Digue.

I think I'll keep la Digue as that weekend away from the hussle and bustle of hell in paradise.




Other guys do catch fish here - a Bluefin Trevally and Jobfish from the reef edge.


You see there... Between that patch of grass and those rocks... There... There's vokol!



No comments:

Post a Comment