Friday, July 6, 2012

Rather go kiteboarding!

Its been damn windy lately - its 11pm now and the live wind report says its dropped to 20knts but the rattling windows makes me think its pushing 30 - and I honestly don't think I've seen the sun in three weeks. If the temperature didn't continue to hang out at 27degrees all day and night I'd honestly think I was stuck in some far flung latitude. But its not: its 4degrees and 20minutes South of the Equator. And you thought paradise was perfect all the time!

Needless to say, the shite weather, an impending lack of transport and my fast arriving departure have got me a little on edge when it comes to fishing time. They say that a man only truly worries about what he is leaving behind when his final days are near. I always figured that was all about death and legacy. I now think it's all about no longer living down the road from a Bonefish flat. I'm running out of fishing time and getting rather edgy!

So, amongst packing up two years of rubbish and fishing gear I've been doing my best to get down to the flats whenever possible. It has not been easy fishing but its been awesome. The fish are scarce but my spotting is great and I haven't ever been this good at casting into the wind!   :)

Liam Surridge, a fishing mate living in the land down under, is out for a few days of fishing before hitting an Inner Island Yacht cruise. (Read bounce in a washing machine rather than cruise!) Well, it was with wild tales of Exmouth Madness that he stepped straight into the howling South Easter. I really don't blame him for going kite boarding instead.

We have managed to get some fishing in at the protected beaches which lie in the lee of the islands. The flats are unfortunately all rather exposed to the devil wind so any 'easier' fishing is done in deeper bays and off the beaches. We've caught a few of the usual suspects but the fishing is most certainly of a "you should have here last month' quality.

I think I should have started kiteboarding!

You think its going to blow this weekend? And clouds? Wait, and throw in some rain for fun!
Flutefish. Funny looking bugger!
At least there has been some bending over of rods!
Windy, no sun; school of hard knocks!
Not a bad choice!


No comments:

Post a Comment